Barbers, sometimes called hairstylists or cosmetologists, cut and style hair and may perform other beauty services. Their primary responsibilities are to enhance the cosmetic appeal and health of their client’s hair. This might include hair cutting and coloring, fitting hairpieces and grooming and styling facial hair.
- Location: 201C Penbina Ave Hinton, ABT7V 2B2
- Salary: 3,300 monthly for 120 hours per 120 hours per month
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment Full time
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Financial benefits, Other benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
A barber helps the clients that they see take care of their hair and facial hair. They typically work primarily with male clients, but may also work with women in some shops. When a barber meets with a client, they’ll start by helping them to decide on what they’d like to do with their hair. They may recommend specific haircuts or styles that they imagine will suit the client well. Once a decision has been made, the barber uses scissors or clippers to cut, shave, and shape that person’s hair. When that’s done, the barber will style the hair and blow-dry it before finishing.
Barbers are also responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and inventory of their shops. They need to have excellent interpersonal skills as well since the job is one that involves constant interaction with others.
- Welcome clients as they come through the shop’s doors
- Consult with them to help them find the right hairstyle for their goals
- Wash clients’ hair before cutting it
- Use scissors and trimmers to shape clients’ beards and mustaches
- Style clients’ hair with a variety of products and tools
- Assist us with inventory maintenance by ordering new products as needed
- Ensure that the workplace and your hair-cutting tools remain clean and sanitary
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous barbershop experience is strongly preferred
- Ability to successfully recreate the wide variety of hairstyles that our clients are looking for
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Physical ability to stand for long periods of time
- All state and federal-mandated barber licenses
- No degree, certificate or diploma
5 years or more
Work site environment
- Urban area
- Cut and trim hair according to client’s instructions or preferences
- Shampoo customers’ hair
- Shave and trim beards and mustaches
- Provide other hair treatment, such as waving, straightening and tinting and also provide scalp conditioning massages
- Analyze hair and scalp condition and provide basic treatment or advice on beauty care treatments for scalp and hair
- Apply bleach, tints, dyes or rinses to colour, frost or streak hair
- Cut, trim, taper, curl, wave, perm and style hair
- Suggest hair style compatible with client’s physical features or determine style from client’s instructions and preferences
Experience and specialization
Hair styling techniques
- Blow drying
- Iron waving/curling
Hair colouring techniques
- Own transportation
- Public transportation is available
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Repetitive tasks
- Manual dexterity
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Standing for extended periods
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Free parking available
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Include this reference number in your application
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Job reference number
- References attesting experience
- Copy of portfolio or relevant work examples
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?